To DONE This Weekend - To Do This Week

To DONE This Weekend:

  • Drive to store (kinda far) and Special Order Table - The salesman wasn't especially thrilled I got such a great deal. It was kinda shady though, cuz I get there and I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy a bedframe or a table. He just threw some expensive Ashley furniture catalogue at me and I definitely wasn't sure I should get a bedrame. I already had the number of the table I wanted, but a bedframe would be fun too. I just don't know if I'm ready for a frame yet since I wasn't sure if I should wait and get a king frame eventually. They had a nice solid wood sleigh frame for about $300... but after delivery and tip, and the price difference with the Groupon it would still end up costing me about $150 in addition to the $45 Groupon. ugh. IDK I want to spend that.

    Anyway, he pulls up this table on his computer after I gave him the number, and he asks, how much is it? I looked at his screen, and suddenly the price jumped up $100! I had read some comments on the Groupon before I bought it that warned that the site suddenly and mysteriously erased all their prices after the groupon was posted and a lot of people ended up canceling their coupons because of it. Not cool to do that after a promotion starts. But I told him that the price I saw on Friday was $230, not $320..and he honored it. He, and I quote, "did me a solid" and started the special order on the table even though "technically" the Groupon offer doesn't start until Monday. What a guy. Whatever, dude, just so long as I get that thing ASAP. Wow...only $45. Niiice. I'm happy. I may go back there for bedframes, but I'm sure I could find something just as good that's more local.



  • New bed shopping for guest room - Went to Ikea and just decided to get a memory foam full mattress. This was after much debate of whether we should get a queen, or swap out the master bedroom queen mattress and get a new bed for the master bedroom, or what. In the end, we thought it best to keep the futon frame in there and just get a new mattress. We tossed and turned (no pun intended) between the spring vs. the foam. We ended up with foam. I think it works out because the new foam mattress will bend into a sofa like the futon, and because I want to eventually get a king mattress for the master bedroom. I have about another 3 years on the queen in there still. So when the time comes, I'll sell the queen when I'm ready and do that thing.

    Thank god the mattress was easy to transport. It's pretty firm when in place, but at least you can't feel the bars underneath and it doesn't sag. Mission accomplished. Oh, and we got a $15 discount because we sat down and ate Swedish meatballs when we had finished deciding. They had a promotion that whatever you buy at the food court, they'll discount ur furniture price if over a $100. Score. It was like a free meal. We almost didn't go eat, too. AND they had yummy ribs there.
  • Buy screen door - Since I figured the contractors were coming to fix my door and water damage on Monday, now was the time to be ready with a screen door ready to be installed. I really liked the ones Babe had installed in his house so we went to get the same one. The glass portion can be slid to reveal the screen. It's very easy and has nice handles - at Lowe's. It has a nice brushed nickel knob - although now I'm realizing that will clash with the brass handle of the door itself. Crap. We may have to go back and exchange it. $$%&
  • Prepare items to sell - Took pictures of the old futon and the cell phone. Have to put them up online.

  • Dig up bulbs - The Calladium bulbs throughout the pots on the deck needed to be dug up. Since they're tropical, they won't survive the winter. I thought I'd get a lot more than I did - for one I thought I planted more, and also, they tend to multiply as they grow. Alas, I think I ended up with much fewer than I started. I think some may have rotted with all the rain we got, or they didn't have enough time to multiply, but I'm not sure. I sliced a couple of them by mistake with the shovel. Oh well. It didn't take me long, and I'm just glad it's done. I threw the leaves into the compost.

  • Give Dog a bath - his hair is getting a little on the long side, but he was getting ripe and I didn't feel like shaving him beforehand. I was giving him his morning walk and I decided I'd let him go crazy in the woods before his bath, and that's when I discovered a bunch of trash and decided I'd pick up a bunch of recyclables and trash in the woods while he went about his doggy business. He got a bunch of burrs and crap all over him, but he was happy so I was happy. Plus, I gathered a good trash bag full of stuff from the woods, so I was even more happy.

    I think he even wanted a bath because all I did was tell him in an excited voice he was getting a bath, and then I walked into the bathroom and he followed me and just hopped right into the tub with no questions asked! So cute. This time, I used kitchen gloves and I'm glad I did. Saves my hands a great deal and I wasn't afraid to really give him a good scrubbing. When I was done, I wrapped him in a towel like I do with my hair. So funny. But it worked. His ears always take the longest to dry.

  • Watched This Is It (4 stars) and The Most Dangerous Man In America (5 stars)
    - I think I forgot to mention these movies in my previous posts. Both really good documentaries. I'm a huge MJ fan and this was fascinating to watch. Somehow I doubted his concert or the movie would be any good. I thought it would just be repeats and old-fashioned and boring, or he'd struggle to dance and sing. Boy did I lose the faith big time - for shame. He was a perfectionist, and an innovator through and through. He danced better than his energetic 20 year old counterparts - so effortless and insanely hypnotic. His concert would have been cheese-fest, yes, but miraculously so. It would have introduced things the world had never seen - and now never will. Siigh. So sad. I admit, I got the teary eyes.

    The second movie was also fascinating. A real inside look into Daniel Ellsberg, a once pro-war journalist, turned anti-war activist, and one of the reasons for the end of the Vietnam war. I'd never heard of him or the Pentagon Papers before watching this. It was truly a jaw-dropping piece of history I'm glad I learned about.

  • Watched Iron Giant - eh, I give it 3.5 stars. Some of the transitions were choppy and weird, but it was a charming story. Definitely something I'd want to show my children one day. It was cute, but one too many plot holes adults would notice.


  • Stay home from work on Monday - I don't know what it was, but Sunday night I wasn't feeling too good. I had Babe go to the pharmacy to get me some over the counter drugs but by the time I woke up in the morning I was nauseous and in pain and tired as all hell. I went to the pharmacy again to try and get something different. I think it ended up working but much later in the day. I rationalized staying home because the contractors finally decided to show up to start work, too, and I figured I'd stick around. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed. I DID have a day I could take off since I worked the last holiday...I knew I'd probably be wasting it since the contractors didn't have to come inside, but I was so tired and out of it. I gave up. Griggs and I slept pretty much all day. I couldn't remember the last time I'd done that. He was shaking from the construction at first, but I just put my arm around him and we both eventually fell asleep. I think I finally weak-kneed crawled out of bed at like 2:45 looking for food since I hadn't eaten all day. Babe got me some food, and we just watched Baseball playoffs all night long.  Good day, I have to say. lol.

To Do This Week:

  • Make cheesecake
  • Sell Cell
  • Sell Futon
  • Make New Car Pro/Con Comparison spreadsheet
  • Haircut
  • Test drive cars:
    • Hyundai Sonata
    • Toyota Prius
    • Toyota Camry
    • Honda Civic / Hybrid
    • Nissan Altima Hybrid
  • Seal tiles
  • Check out other book (Never Let Me Go)
  • Jewelry appraisal
  • Send out Wedding photos
  • LESS IMPORTANT ITEMS:

  • Look for fabrics/Get chair upholstered
  • Go to dump - pick up chemicals from mom's house (old darkroom chems)
  • Acupuncture
  • Emulsion transfers
  • Paint room picture
  • Print Erika's wedding pictures
  • Fix Car upholstery
  • Gather rings that need resizing
  • Put up laundry line on balcony
  • Sell/donate/get rid of stuff
    • DVD player?
    • Keyboard
    • Old computer
    • Old Flatbed scanner
    • Mirror frame piece
    • Cabinet sliding metal basket?
    • Broken Coffee pot
    • Bag of clothes
    • Gate?
    • Roomba
    • vintage lamp shade
    • cell phone
    • harddrive
    • router
    • curtain rod

0 comments:

Post a Comment